The following are sites for specific GI disorders. Some are provided by non-profit organizations that give information on the disease and usually have literature, books, and support groups available.
Iron Overload Disease Association, Inc.
This site contains information about hemochromatosis. Irritable Bowel Syndrome
International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders
This site provides information on irritable bowel syndrome, bloating, gas and fecal incontinence, and many other GI disorders where the contraction function of the bowel is involved.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America
This site provides extensive information for patients with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of Canada This site provides information about Crohn’s and colitis disorders, events, programs, and research in Canada. It is offered in French and English.
American Liver Foundation
This site provides a great deal of information on almost every liver condition.
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
The GERD Information Resource Center
This site contains information about gastrointestinal reflux disease (indigestion, heartburn).
Celiac Support Page
This site is written by an individual with celiac disease and provides education about this disorder along with information about special dietary needs.
United Ostomy Association, Inc.
This site provides information to assist people who have had or will have intestinal or urinary ostomies – i.e. colostomy, ileostomy, or ureterostomies.
Some organizations deal with gastroenterology specialty issues related to patients and doctors and GI nursing.
- Couric Passes Colonoscopy Torch www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5300238n&tag=contentBody;housing
- Digestive Health SmartBrief www.digestivehealthsmartbrief.com
- American Gastroenterological Association www.gastro.org
- American College of Gastroenterology www.acg.gi.org
- Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America www.ccfa.org
- Healthbanks www.healthbanks.com
- National Digestive Diseases Information Clearing House www.digestive.niddk.nih.gov